Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Joy School

Jack's Joy School is in full swing and he loves it. He's already made some good friends and talks about them all the time. A while ago, I thought to myself that he wasn't really asking that many "why" questions. That's supposed to be the hallmark of this age and he asked why sometimes, but it was manageable and so I was worried that there was something wrong (what?! Me worry?). Well after his first week at Joy School, we were in the car on the way home and let's just say, the "whys" began - and they haven't stopped since. He inquires about everything and is willing to explore things in much more depth. I love it! He talks about what he learns and the books that they read (he LOVES books) and he talks about the kids. He really enjoys getting to see the different houses and cried the other day when he found out that Joy School was at a park instead of a house... I think it's because he likes to try out the toys. Here's some pictures from their day at the park: Gracie loves Joy School too... The whole class: And their silly faces... The week after these adorable photos were taken was my week. We had Joy School at our house! Yikes! We had a packed curriculum and I barely finished half of it on the first day. And so, I hardly got any pictures. Their unit is the Joy of the Earth and on our first day we read about seasons and orange and learned a new song and Joy Boy (the puppet) visited and read about the life cycle of an apple tree and made apple sauce and discussed seeds and planted seeds and learned an apple song and made a seed collage and ate our apple sauce and that's only half of it... See why I didn't finish? But I loved it! We had so much fun although 3 and 4 year old exhausted me way more than teaching sixth graders did and I even had Katie to help me (thank you Katie!). Here are the kids walking to the green: And their seeds (and Jack's Halloween count down).... Thursday was even better! They had a pet sharing day (I got one of the neighbors to come out because we only had a turtle) and the day was all about animals. They sang songs, read about white, hopped, waddled, flew and ran, made bird feeders, learned about the products that animals give us, had animal crackers and milk for snack, read about the different houses that animals have and played animal games... Too cute! Here they are opening their Joy School windows: And here's Jack sharing about his beloved Rovit (his stuffed dog)...

No comments: